Tips and Tricks when Booking your Wedding DJ during COVID-19 (and Non-COVID-19 times)
By Andrew Langsam
Having been a DJ in Los Angeles wedding market for over 25 years, I thought that I had seen it all! Nothing could have prepared any of us for the 2020 whirlwind that is COVID-19!
First and foremost, I want to work to encourage couples to joyfully celebrate and invest in their relationships through an intimate wedding! Life events are still happening and need to be acknowledged with celebration. Some do not want to press the pause button. I want to help educate couples on what real options are out there as the big day approaches – so let’s jump right in!
As you begin your planning process, you will want to have a good understanding of your state and local guidelines. Information seems to change daily, so consult your local county health department for information on reopening, protocols and other safety guidelines.
Booking a DJ in COVID-19 times is not unlike booking a DJ any other time, with a few exceptions. I’ve included below a list of 10 questions that you should ask your wedding DJ no matter what the circumstance are, as well as questions related specifically to booking a DJ during covid-19. In this day and age, one of the most important questions you’ll want to ask of perspective DJs is how flexible and creative can he or she be when it comes to “the new normal” of your wedding celebration.
The term “Micro-Wedding” has been tossed around quite a bit these days and your DJ should have firm understanding of what that means and what options that may include. We, at Get in the Groove Djs have broken down (depending on your state or localities phases and guidelines) some out-of-the-box options:
- Classic Wedding > or < 100 guests
- Intimate Wedding < 50 guests
- Micro-Wedding < 20 guests
In California, we are unfortunately still a ways off from safely celebrating with the Classic or Intimate Wedding options. However, many are opting for the alternative Micro-Wedding path which offers a safer and more economical alternative that considers the following:
- Shortened event duration – reducing it from 5-6 hours to 2-3 hours.
- Simplify the format – reduce some of the standard formalities e.g. bouquet toss, table photos, etc.…) and focus on the ceremony and reception essentials that focus on the couple’s relationship and memory makers such as first dance, cake cutting, etc.
- An all-inclusive, one-stop-shop package. Simplify and find an expert that can package-in most or all of your vendors under one umbrella such as:
- An officiant to preside over the wedding ceremony.
- Day-of coordination to help organize set up/ tear down, rentals, timelines etc.…
- Florals for simple dress up of your chosen location.
- Rentals: tables, linens, tent, stem-wear etc.
- DJ: for pro-audio sound system and microphone procession, recessional & ambiance music.
- Photo booth for a fun keepsake of the day.
- Lighting for décor and ambiance.
- Photographer: to capture your ceremony and take some portraits.
Get in the Groove Entertainment is proud to offer these Micro-Wedding packages to our wonderful clients so they may continue to get dressed up and celebrate their love with a beautiful and romantic day (that doesn’t break the bank)!
10 Standard Questions to ask your DJ:
- Will you travel out of state for my destination-wedding (we do)!
- How long have you been in business?
- How many weddings/events have you provided music for?
- Will you help to coordinate our wedding timeline?
- Are you insured?
- What type of equipment do they use and do they provide back up on the day of
- Do they have a list of former clients we can call?
- Does the DJ provide MC services and announce or lead any formalities?
- Do they offer price packaging?
- Do they offer other services like lighting or photo booth?
5 Important COVID-19 related questions to ask your DJ:
- Can I book one date and hold a back-up date later in the year?
- Will they transfer a deposit to a future date?
- What is their refund policy in relation to COVID-19?
- What safety protocols do they have in place?
- Do they have additional staff in place should a performer fall ill?
Although it may not be what you had originally planned, I hope that you now have some understanding of how your love and relationship can still be celebrated during COVID-19. If you have any questions or would like to contribute any updated information, feel free to email me at email@example.com and best of luck!